JRPassCommander le JR Pass
bruges00
bruges00
Il y a plus de 8 ans
3 réponses

Hello,
between end of March and beginning of April, my wife, 3 years-old daughter and I will be spending around 2 weeks in Japan. We will do some travelling and I am undecided as to whether I need to buy a 14-day pass or a 7-day and add the extra tickets.
Clearly, if the difference is not large in terms of cost,. I'd prefer to buy the 14-day ticket to save me some buroctarc hussle. Yet, perhaps the difference is not that small?
Some suggestion woudl thus be welcome
my rpgram is as follows
Day 1: arrival in NRT airport and transport to Tokyo Statio
Days 2 to 5 Tokyo
Day 6- Tokyo to Nikko
Day 7- Nikko to Hakone
Day 8- Hakone to Kyoto
Days 9 to 11: Kyoto
Day 12: Kyoto to Nara, then nara to Osaka
Day 13: Osaka to Himeji and return
Day 14 Osaka
Day 15 (AM) Osaka, (PM) Osaka to NRT (but i have not decided whether to do it by plane, bullet train or nightrain)
Day 16 (AM) flight departs from Narita

Do you have any suggestion? I saw similar questions asked in the past but the response is old (and thus tariffs may have changed) or the programme was not quite the same.
Thank you so much in advance
Luca

avatar
Daniel-san
19375 poster
Il y a plus de 8 ans
Expert

Hi Luca,

You could consider a 14 day JR Pass if you want to use the Shinkansen to Nikko and Himeji and also return to Tokyo or Narita airport using the JR Pass. In this case you could make nice savings using the JR Pass.

I must mention that there are cheaper local train options available to Nikko and Himeji but these take a lot more time and are definitely more of a hassle.

Hope this helps making your decision :)
Daniel

bruges00
bruges00
3 poster
Il y a plus de 8 ans

Daniel,
thanks for your reply. I saw it just now. I must have missed it before (and in fact I just posted another question, slightly different from this one - many apologies for that).
To be honest, using the calculator provided in this site, it would seem that i would do no savings at all by buying the JRP. But perhaps I did some mistakes in checking the prices or the routes? (see my new post)

avatar
Daniel-san
19375 poster
Il y a plus de 8 ans
Expert

Hi,

To keep everything in one place here's your post:

Hello, I had tried to post already one question but it never appeared in the forum.I do not know why.
I was trying to calculate whether to take a 7-day JRP or a 14-day JRP, because (after in arrive in NRT and stay in Tokyo for circa 4days and half) I will do the following itinerary

First 7 days:
Tokyo-Nikko
Nikko-Odawara
Odawara-Kyoto
Kyoto-Nara
Nara-Osaka

Remaing 3 days:
Osaka- Himeji and return
Osaka- Narita airport

It seems to me that there is no point of buiyng a 14-day JRP since the difference between the 14-day JRP and the 7-day JRP (Y 24,070) is higher than the costs of the tickets in the extra days:
Osaka- Himeji-Osaka (Y1,490 x 2) + Osaka- Narita (Y 9,610)= Total: Y 12,590
[prices taken from hyperdia]

However, when I used the calculator in this website to see how much i gain by bying the JRP instead of buying the single tickets for the trips that I will do in my first 7 days (Tokyo to Nikko, .... until Nara to Osaka), the system says that I actually lose some money (around 20 eur). Is that possible?

Now for the reply What I mentioned in my first post is that it will depend on what trains you plan to use. For instance, going from Osaka to Himeji using a local train will cost ¥ 1,490 while using the Shinkansen bullet trains cost ¥ 3,950. Same for Tokyo - Nikko: ¥ 5,580 using the Shinkansen or ¥ 2,590 for local trains one way, double the price for return. As such it would be cheaper to buy normal tickets if you go to Himeji and Nikko using local trains but a JR Pass would be worth it if you want to use the faster and more comfortable bullet trains.

It comes down to budget vs time and comfort. I can't decide for you but hope this will help you make an informed decision.

bruges00
bruges00
3 poster
Il y a plus de 8 ans

Yes, Daniel. It does help. Thanks a lot


Vous cherchez plus d’informations ? Rechercher le forum

Sélectionner la catégorie

Devis instantané

À partir de 353,00 $ pour un pass illimité de 7 jours sur le réseau ferroviaire japonais de Japan Rail

Vous n’arrivez pas à trouver la réponse ?

Apprenez-en plus en consultant les 19182 questions posées sur le forfait Japan Rail Pass, ou posez votre question à nos experts-voyages de Japan Rail

Posez votre question

Munissez-vous d'un wifi de poche au Japon

Munissez-vous d'un wifi de poche au Japon

Rendez-nous visite sur Facebook

Puisez de l'inspiration pour votre visite au Japon en nous suivant sur Instagram et n'oubliez pas de prendre vos propres photos une fois là-bas.


Découvrez où acheter la carte d'abonnement ferroviaire japonaise en ligne.

Commandez votre forfait JR Pass dès maintenant !

Nous offrons des tarifs spéciaux pour les enfants et d’excellentes options de première classe. Voir tous les tickets. Ou voir notre gamme de Pass régionaux